Let's exchange our blog

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Fairest of Them All

Previously when I was not working, my sister-in-law would occasionally send her daughter to my house to play with my daughter, who was at the time 4 years old. Since the girls are of the same age, I tried to educate and entertain them at the same time. One day, I decided to give them each a piece of white A4 paper and asked them to draw a picture of themselves. They spent a few minutes sketching before reaching for the colour pencils and crayons. While my niece got excited about colouring a drawing of her face - telling me how she wanted to have red for her lips and cheeks - I noticed that my daughter was on the complete opposite. She did not at all look enthusiastic about the whole idea of colouring her picture. I looked at her drawing and true enough, it was left untainted with not even a streak of colour. Trying to get to the bottom of her cold attitude, I asked her the reason for not putting colours to her drawing. She looked up to me and with the word boring sill clearly spelt across her face, she let out a tiny sigh and lazily murmured, "mama, can't you see that my face is white and and that my skin is fair?

1 comment:

just me said...

ha ha ha, brilliant girl. i remember u telling me this